penny threads.
beautiful ideas. beautiful things.
07 March 2010
Studio Day!
So...as promised, here are some pics of the day Laura and I spent working on my studio. I had been there earlier bringing some totes of my stuff in from the shed where they'd been stored and I decided to snap some pics of my mum's lovely African Violets.

She actually LOVES plants and has the most successful green thumb I've ever seen! She's the sort of person that buys dying plants from the garden center just to save them. She already had a bunch of seed pods out ready for planting this spring.

I had some errands to run in town and some paint to pick up so Laura and I met up at True Value and then she followed me out to studio, which is on my family's ranch. We set to work, Laura painting and me putting together a bookshelf and unpacking totes. I did stop at the thrift store for a quick browsing and found these three items which were PERFECT additions to my decor.



This little typewriter planter was a MUST have! It says, "Now is the time for all good." So appropriate and super cute.
The building was originally an aviary used for birds of all kinds that my parents hand raised for awhile, so there is sheet metal running around the bottom half of the room that they had installed for easy cleaning. I like how it's almost like wainscoting. Laura painted that a lovely light turquoise that I had selected.

Here are some snapshots of bits and pieces of it coming together.

Laura commented that as long as she'd known me she had never known my "style" fully until she saw the items I had in this room. That makes me happy.

I have always thought it important to have a distinctive style, though pinning one down, as I'm sure you're all aware, can be quite hard and is actually a continual process of change and refinement. That said, I am getting there and I feel that this space will better help me keep a certain direction and influence where my creations are concerned.

One immediate goal of mine is to significantly increase my fabric collection. It has much to be desired at the moment.

Laura helped me put this lovely fabric from some pillow cases I found at the thrift store in some embroidery hoops for wall hangings. I really LOVE the way they look.

I love the look of the lace in these bowls. Got it all for a steal. I'm such a bargain hound it's ridiculous sometimes.


I also love putting leaves in these bowls. I have used the leaves in a couple of my paintings and have many more plans for them.

After getting some things done and feeling accomplished enough for the day, Laura and I stopped for a photo walk. And it turns out this location is fraught with photographic possibilities.

These old tin buildings are PERFECT for backdrops and photo shoots. I have told Laura she is welcome to come shoot any of her products out there at ANY time.

And there was a China Berry Tree in the vicinity that I can't wait to photograph more of all year long. I think they're just gorgeous!

I've never known what the plant below is (if anyone knows would you PLEASE tell me?) but I have always thought these berries it produces to be just lovely and the perfect shade of yellow.

After taking some pictures Laura surprised me with the most amazing and personal gift ever! She made this bag for me and hand-embroidered Penny Threads onto it! It's my favorite color orange of course. Do you see what I mean about these tin buildings being excellent backdrops?

This bag is so perfect! I told Laura she should definitely make more and offer them in her shop, VioletBella.

I also LOVE these fabric tags that she attaches to her clothing and such. They are beautiful and simple.

After gushing on and on about this super-duper wonderful bag that she made for me we sat down so she could show me a binder she has full of inspiration and goal setting.

I LOVED what she had to say about everything in there and have decided to do something similar. It's pretty amazing to have someone in your life that you can actually call a role model. She is that for me. What she's doing and how she's doing it...I admire it all. And Laura has done much to help me in that direction. If you know her I'm sure you will agree with me in saying that she's a pretty amazing woman. If you don't know her, go check out her inspiring and beautiful BLOG.
I thank all of you for sitting through this LONG post and looking at all my photos. I am sure that eventually I will tire of posting so many pictures and such, but for now, bear with me. I am really enjoying having the ability to share a peek of my life with all of you.
Ciao for now you wonderful humans!
Renea Hanna
Penny Threads.
P.S. Stay tuned for another photo filled post tomorrow as well as the announcement of the GIVEAWAY WINNER! Drawing takes place tomorrow during the day so y'all keep your fingers crossed and good luck!
5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Loved this blog! I can't wait to see your glorious little studio space when it's all finished, hehe. I remember loving what you'd done with it back when you were staying there.
Your pictures are so delightful!

Oh! and that plant is Nightshade, I think, or at least that's what someone told me once. It gets pretty purple flowers!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightshade

Funny enough, while googling, the closest I saw to what's out here is "Silverleaf Nightshade."
Now I really want to play WoW D:

Blogger A Wanderers Soul said...
I looooveee photos in blog posts, they make posts awesome!
These photos are just, wow. Your space is amazing!! You two girls look like so much fun to hang out with, wish I lived closer so I could get to know you two! I LOVE the tin, it looks like it will never fail you in picture taking for backdrops, every single picture with it in it was great!!
I can definitely see your style, like Laura said, from these pictures, your color choices, and textures, and the odds and ends. I love the colors you are painting in your studio.
If you can believe it, I have NEVER been to a thrift store, I think I need to start going to add to my collection of odds and ends to spruce up my space, I have never really bought a lot for it because everything is too expensive, but no so at a thrift store!
Really really love the lace bowl. I'm itching to find some lace for details on stuff I have been sewing and some upcoming projects, the colors of your lace is beautiful.
I love the embroidery hoops! I have a few up on my wall, great for decorating!
I think I've said love a lot in this post, but seriously, I am in love with your space.
And what an awesome friend Laura is, she's definitely an inspiration for me too!! I LOVE the bag!

Blogger Katelyn said...
I would love to meet you two some day. You guys inspire me and I have only been following your blog and store for a bit but I am in love with it all. Can't wait to see the finished studio. It's amazing already!

Blogger penny threads. said...
thank you JenJen. I can't wait for you to see it finished as well. I miss you guys coming over there to hang out with me. Those nights seemed so magical. :) NIGHTSHADE! Come to think of it i think you told me that once before but i had forgotten. i just LOVE that plant. and i DO miss WOW. don't know when i'll have time for that anytime soon. :( thanks jenjen!
Betsy, you SOOOO need to go thrifting. i will admit some days are duds and you just see a lot of musty old stuff that nobody wanted, but the adage, "one man's trash is another man's treasure" is true sometimes and you find little treasures that are so unique and one of a kind. thank you so much for the comments. i wish you were closer as well...i could imagine the 3 of us having a grand old time together. :D
Thank you Katelyn. I immediately noticed when you started following and was sooooo happy! i had seen you on Laura's blogs and such before. One day I think ALL of us should meet up and have a fun filled weekend somewhere...inspiring. and you could bring some of that delicious garlic shrimp. ;) ciao for now!

Blogger LINDSAY said...
The studio looks so cozy!

Post a Comment