penny threads.
beautiful ideas. beautiful things.
17 December 2009
this house is a dream and the music helps.
so sorry for my absence yesterday. i have not been sleeping well and it caught up to me. so i'm back now and ready to write. i have two ideas about BIG inspirations that i am pretty sure just about all of us, humans that is, find inspiring and actually rely on as a continued source of inspiration over and over again.

inspiration #3: dreams.

by dreams i do not mean the subconscious theatrics that play out on your eyelids when you sleep (oh, sweet sleep). i am talking about dreams as in hopes and aspirations. those things you hope for, secretly or obviously. those little and great BIG things that motivate our actions in life, for better or for worse. some dreams are worthwhile, others are not. for instance, when i was probably 12 or 13 i dreamed of being an actress, playing out made up dramatic scenes full of crying and glaring and maniacal laughter right there in my dresser mirror. now as embarassing as it was to admit that just now, it serves as an illustration of a dream that was not really worthwhile for me because now i have no desire to be an actress and did not possess the natural talent for it. however, when i was much younger than that i dreamed of being a writer and an artist full-time, though i didn't understand the "full-time" thing until i started working full-time at anything but my dream. this has proved to be a very worthwhile dream and one that i am still pursuing. i went to art school after high school to pursue it. i went on to study creative writing in college as well. and after finances and life fully and thoroughly got in the way of my collegiate career, i am STILL pursuing this dream. it is one that makes me happy, or that i believe will.
having a dream, something to hope for and work for, is to me essential to the very living of life. there have been times in my life where i lost sight of my dreams or i kicked them to the curb in a tizzy. those were and still are some of the darkest days of my life. living without hope for anything more than you have. well, let's just say that there is always something more to be had and may we always yearn for the betterment of our selves and the quality and depth of our lives. don't get lost in the monetary value of a dream, for money is fickle. if you feel down to your very bones that you will be HAPPY pursuing something, whether it be a new house, a family, a great career, then follow that. it is worth more than all the money in the world.
here are some of my dreams:
-a house to call home
-a successful and long career in writing and artistry
-happiness with the one i choose to love
-to live close to my family
-and for indulgence's sake, lots of land to run wild on

Photobucket

i'd love to hear some of your dreams! if you feel so inclined, i would really enjoy reading your lists in the comment section. :D

now for that second BIG inspiration:

inspiration #4: music.
Photobucket


this inspiration is one that i rely on daily to even motivate me to wake up in the morning or put me in the mood to paint or focus on a new sewing project. it is so present in my life that i have a hard time thinking of times when i am NOT hearing music of some sort. to me, music sets the tempo to life, to that moment you're living right then. it can solidify a memory in the closets of your brain. it can make you sad, happy, angry, excited. it inspires in such a way that i almost want to say that we are at its mercy. yes we choose the music, but it has such a profound effect that it seems so strong an influence.
in middle school i played the clarinet and in high school i was in treble chior for a few years and, while i love to make music and sing, my main inspiration requires no skill in playing or vocals, but allows me to observe, to listen and receive. so easy and yet so impactful.
music is definitely one of the most sought after inspirations. new music must be found, listened to and possessed. i find that we are constantly changing and evolving creatures in both our desires and our preferences, so music has had to be, throughout history, as changing and evolutionary as we are. and it has. these combinations of string strumming, drum beating, snapping, whistling, tempo, beat, harmony, melody are all wrapped up in a creature with an even more insatiable hunger to create than we possess. we are merely running behind picking up the good ones, dusting them off, and slipping them into our pockets before we sprint headlong after this wonderful pulse of life and expression.
i personally have many favorites but i am usually trying to add to that. so instead of listing my favorites i will list some that have a way of making me smile, even when i don't want to.

bob dylan - all i really want to do
the matches - wake the sun
bret dennen - ain't no reason
johnny flynn - the box
alela diane - the pirate's gospel

i could go on like this all night so i will leave you with that. i hope the links work. some of them are pop ups so you might not be able to access them if you're set to block them, but just give it a try. i hope you enjoyed some of them. :D and please note that at the end of every blog entry i list off an artist that i am currently listening to. please feel free to check them out! i don't think you will be disappointed.

and now for the award from laura @ violet bella. the "i love me" award.





so here goes. thank you laura!

1. i love my creativity and ability to create something out of what seems like nothing.
2. i love my eyes. i would say they are my best feature.
3. i love my offbeat sense of humor and ability to make people laugh.
4. i love my curves, even when i forget that i do. ;P
5. i love my curiosity and sense of adventure.
6. i love my dreads! they make me feel unique and spunky.
7. i love my quirky imagination.
8. i love that i know i am worth allowing myself to fulfill my dreams as an artist and writer (stole this one from laura and added a bit, it was just too right!).
9. i love my desire to inspire those around me.
10. i love the values i hold, instilled in me by my family

and now i pass this lovely little award on to:

betsy&jacque


and with that monstrous dose of inspiration and things to cogitate on, i bid you all a great evening full of restful sleep. i know how precious that is.
ciao for now.
renea hanna.
"this little heart of mine is stitched together with penny threads."
9 Comments:
Blogger Roots and Feathers said...
dearest renea...once again, i found myself intwined in your words. i love love love to read what you write, you have such a way with words. its funny how words are just words, but one person can string them along together to flow so beautifully, like music.

i love your two inspirations in this post, big ones, i couldnt agree more.

i am far too tired right now to respond properly, but i will try to make a post tomorrow that does!

i adore all of those things about you too!

love you,
laura

Blogger penny threads. said...
g'night laura! thank you! i'm off to bed as well. <3

Blogger Roots and Feathers said...
will you send me the html for your button, i cant link it!

Blogger Jacque said...
What a lovely post!! I am really feeling your inspirations!! I thinks dreams are very inspirational! I think your dreams are beautiful and it's awesome that you shared them! I think that allowing your dreams to inspire you will always keep your heart's desires close in sight. My biggest dream is to get into a graduate school and get a job teaching at a University after I finish my degree. But I also have small dreams, like my dream to take my hobby of drawing and refine it. I think that music is such an awesome thing to find inspiration in! I completely agree with everything you said about the emotional power music has over us! Such an awesome post!!

Blogger A Wanderers Soul said...
Wonderful inspirations!
Just by reading your blog I can tell you have a way with words, a way of conveying emotions and imagery, always always pursue your passion in creative writing, you are so talented! I couldn't agree more that dreams are the start and fuel for some amazing inspiration.

Music... oh dear. I don't think there could be more of an inspiration, for me personally. I love what you said about how we are chasing after music and picking up what we can and continuing on after it, I've never thought of it that way, but it's so true.

Well here are some of my dreams if you want to read:
I would love to build my own house. Not in the typical sense of picking out a layout and hiring a contractor to come build it. I want to design it, and build it with my hands and feet. My husband and I's dream house is a cob house, hopefully on some land in Montana. And we want to build this house on cash only (!!) no credit or mortgage :)
Another dream of mine is just to continue my passion for music, continuing to play and learn, maybe put together some songs I've done and work on composing. That has definitely been a dream I've had for many years and probably will have for many more!
One more is to be self-sustainable, grow and eat what I can, make what I can, and live on lots of land to raise my kids and teach and guide them!

Awesome reasons to love yourself! Thanks so much for passing the award on to me. I'm off now to think of some things :) Have a great weekend!

Betsy

Blogger penny threads. said...
jacque: that's a noble dream! what are you going to teach? what is your degree going to be in? i know you'll achieve that! and as for refining your drawing ability...i'm right there with you. that's a good dream too! thank you for reading and your comment. very inspiring! :D

betsy: thank you so much for reading and your comments! and your dream of building your own home with your own hands with your own cash...i couldn't agree more! my boyfriend and i would like to do that someday as well. great dream!although i have to go look up what a cob house is...lol. montana is beautiful country to live in as well. and as far as your passion for music...i don't think you mentioned what you play? totally interested! that's awesome and i hope one day i get to hear something you've composed. :D

ciao for now and thanks so much for your excellent replies!

Blogger JMay said...
Such a sweet inspirational post, thanks for sharing.

xo.

Blogger Amy said...
I really enjoyed reading this post. You have lovely dreams, and the romantic in me is sure you'll accomplish them.

A few of my dreams would be:
to create a life where art is the focus. Maybe I'll have a "real job" or maybe I'll be self-employed, but I want to focus on art: the crafts, jewelry, photography, and paintings I create.
to write consistently. I have been a writer for years now. I cherish words and love to create poems, stories, and essays from them. But my writing tends to come in spurts and I'd like to make it a constant part of my life.
to live a more organic life. I'm not enviro-obsessee, but I'd like to stop eating so many processed foods. I want to cook from scratch and buy local and really touch the world, exist with the earth.

...and there are so many more. But thank you for giving me this chance to verbalize a few dreams. Best of luck on yours! :)

Blogger penny threads. said...
those are great dreams! nd i hope you achieve them all. thank you so much for reading and sharing! i especially like that you getting in touch with earth and buying local! that is a great idea!

Post a Comment